Message forwarded from Lorraine Leeson, CDS:
"Dear students, colleagues,
I received an email from Context Interpreting (based in Galway) who are keen to meet students about to graduate from the CDS programme and recent graduates. In this context, a representative from Context will visit CDS on Thursday next (30th April) and present/discuss their agency's work in Room B from 1-2. All current interpreting students and practicing interpreters are welcome to attend.
Some details about the company's work are listed below.
Best wishes,
Lorraine
Lorraine,
my colleague Anna passed your message on to me.
I would be delighted to give a presentation to your students on our company, our approach to interpreting, our training objectives and vision.
While I have good availability over the next 2 weeks, I'd probably prefer to meet before the Bank Holiday, if possible i.e. next week.
Our company was established by active conference interpreters in 1987. From the early 90ies on, we cooperated with a number of Sign Language agencies, over the past 5 years or so mainly with Evelyn Conroy. As I have a background in both conference interpreting and training, I combined these two strands to provide training for community interpreters with a view to having our training programmes accredited and audited by external authorities. As part of this medium term strategy we set up the not-for-profit entity Interpreter Training Ireland which is spear headed by senior interpreters and interested community activists.
In the interim, we are funding most of the training from Context resources and continue to develop, test and fine-tune our syllabus.
Over the last 3 years, we provided over 1000 man hours of training each year to over 300 interpreters.
While we have excellent resources for a large number of spoken languages and a smart bespoke web application to manage these, we have not been able to provide Sign Language interpreters for each incoming request.
The difficulties we met with are mainly in the area of resource restrictions, at times combined with a lack of awareness regarding the environment of the legal sector and its particular constraints.
We have however always looked to the Sign Language sector for cooperation and mutual strategic goals in training and service provision.
Hence, I would very much welcome meeting with you and your students to explore potential synergies.
Please let me know what date and time would suit and which aspects you would like me to focus on.
Thanks and regards,
Ulrike
--
Ulrike Fuehrer
Head of Interpreting
Context
Oranmore
County Galway
Ireland
t: +353 91 790255
m: +353 87 4105779
f: +353 91 790514
e: ulrike@context.ie
www.context.ie
No comments:
Post a Comment
Enter your comment here: